On Monday, January 20, 2020, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Colorado Holiday Commission will mark the 35th anniversary of Colorado honoring Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with its annual Marade (a word combination of march and parade) “A Day On, Not A Day Off: Renewed Dedication to Humanity.”
The civil rights icon’s legacy is commemorated in the heart of Denver every third Monday in January with what has grown to be one of the largest MLK Day celebrations in the U.S. (surpassing even Washington, D.C., and Atlanta most years).
MLK celebratory events begin as early as January 14, 2020, and there are many opportunities to engage, celebrate, and volunteer.
Here are a few to consider…
- January 14, 2020 – 2020 MLK Humanitarian Awards (Boettcher Concert Hall (1000 14th St, Denver, Colorado 80202)
6:00 p.m. – Doors open and reception begins
7:30 pm – Awards Presentation, Colorado Symphony Performance
Festivities will kick off as The Colorado Symphony delights the crowd with its awe-inspiring musical tributes and will feature special guest performances as the award recipients are honored. Please invite your friends to attend this free community concert and awards ceremony held to celebrate Dr. King’s life and work.
- January 17, 2020 – The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Peace Breakfast was created to commemorate the philosophy and values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by promoting diversity and equality for all humanity within the campus community and the Denver community at-large. The breakfast and award ceremony recognizes and celebrates individuals within MSU Denver and the Denver community who keep the spirit and dream of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. alive through their actions and contributions to peace, justice, diversity, equality, and social change. Location: Tivoli Turnhalle, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. and the program will conclude at 10:30 a.m.
- January 17, 2020 – The Martin Luther King Jr. Business Awards Luncheon will be held at the Hilton Denver City Center Hotel (1701 California Street). This significant event, founded by former State Representative Wilma J. Webb, came about as part of the MLK Colorado Holiday Commission. The original luncheon was held on January 17, 1986 as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Business Social Responsibility Awards luncheon. The awards luncheon is now sponsored by 14 civic organizations and chambers of commerce.
- January 18, 2020 – The Martin Luther King, Jr. Colorado Holiday Commission will host its Marade Marshall Training at East High School beginning at 10 a.m. This is a great opportunity to learn about crowd control, get information for your group on bathroom stops, health aid check points, and much more. Marshalls are needed every year to help make this the safest and best Marade ever. All volunteers are encouraged to attend. Hands on training developed by the U.S. Department of Justices and local community activist join forces to help create awareness and diffuse tense situations. If you are planning to march with a group of 10 or more, please plan to participate in the Marade Marshall Training. Lunch will be served.
- January 20, 2020 – Join the Urban Initiative, Black Student Fellowship, and the Student Life who are partnering to represent the Denver Seminary at the MLK Marade in honor of Dr. King’s legacy and to show the Denver community that they stand alongside efforts of racial reconciliation. Meet the group at City Park or at 6399 S. Santa Fe Drive, Littleton to carpool. RSVP’s are requested at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 202-761-2482.
- January 20, 2020 – Beginning at 6:00PM, the National Western Stock Show and the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. African American Heritage Rodeo of Champions at the Historic Denver Coliseum aims to show how black cowboys and cowgirls impacted the West throughout history.
January 20, 2020…Let the Marade Begin!
As for the Marade, Denver will host it’s annual “Marade” that organizers are proud to proclaim as the only event of its kind in the nation. Join fellow marchers and parade fans at this year’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. marade where participants will congregate at the Dr. King memorial site in Denver’s City Park.
Before the Marade begins, the Denver community is invited to join Denver Mayor, Michael Hancock at 8:30 a.m.as he hosts his “Huddle with Hancock” breakfast and conversation near the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “I Have A Dream” memorial located in the park.
Invited guests include invocations from community and religious leaders, and welcome remarks from Colorado Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner.
The traditional signing of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. yearbook will be signed at the Colorado State Capitol Building. Birthday cake will be served as part of the program festivities at the conclusion of the program.
The Marade proceeds south out of City Park via the Esplanade Street to Colfax Avenue; then west on Colfax Avenue to Sherman Street into the State Capitol grounds; then south to Broadway. The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. program immediately follows the Marade, in Civic Center Park’s Greek Theater. The total distance of the Marade is 5K.
MLK Day Program/Agenda
- 8:30 AM-Huddle with Hancock
- 9:30AM-MLK Program Commences
- 10:30AM-Laying of the Memorial Wreath
- 10:45AM-MLK Marade Begins
Civic Center Park:
- 12:00 Noon – 1:00 p.m. Entertainment, Awards, and Celebration
- 1:00 p.m. Help with cleaning up at the park or head out to other Dr. MLK Service projects.
Join The MLK Commission volunteer team
The Dr. Martin Luther King Colorado Holiday Commission (MLK) invites you to become a part of an awesome team where people are dedicated to preserving history while continuing to forge a path to a promising, brighter future. The MLK commission is supported by community volunteers who have dedicated countless hours to the organization, in addition to lending their helping hands, there will be collections for the Food Bank, Hygiene Drive, and Clothing Accessories at both City and Civic Park. Flexible schedules are available for volunteers to allow for many ways to get involved. For more information, please visit the website here +